This is an updated list of breastfeeding resources that I had prepared for the Toronto Baby and Toddler Show in 2008. I will do my best to make it more complete as time goes by but there should be enough here to get you started. I had also prepared lists for Montreal and Quebec city, which I will be happy to post here in the next week, with the intent to start a new Breasfeeding Resources section on the blog.
My advice is: if you are not happy with the help you get somewhere, go knock at an other door until you find the advice that works for you. Good luck !
- Jack Newman’s articles and videos on breastfeeding (common problems and solutions)
- Mothering magazine’s forum
Mother to mother support:
- La Leche League Canada: 416-483-3368 (for information about groups in your area)
- Be part of a mom’s group, like the who helds meetings at Life on St-Clair every first Monday of the month at 3:00-4:00 (start May 4)
Professional support in Toronto:
- The Newman Breastfeeding Clinic and Institute, in the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, 1255 Sheppard Avenue EastToronto, M2K 1E2, tel: 416-498-0002 (There is a registration fee for the first visit, but the rest is usually covered by OHIP as Dr. Newman is a pediatrician)
- NEW ! Alliston Clinic, Newman Breastfeeding Clinic & Institute, Town Square, 35 Victoria Street E, Unit 7, Alliston, ON, L9R 1V8. To make an appointment in Alliston, email email@example.com and respond to the auto reply.
- Breastfeeding Resources Centre, at the Toronto East General Hospital: Drop-in Monday to Sunday 10AM to 3PM, tel: 416-469-6667 (4MY-MOMS)
- Out-Patient Breastfeeding Clinic, St-Joseph Health Centre, by appointment only (afternoons)., tel: 416-530-6331. St-Joseph Health Centre also offers excellent breastfeeding seminars (10$ per person or 15$ per couple), call 416-530-6367 for information.
- Toronto Public Health nurses can help you breastfeed your baby (free home visits), 416-338-7600
- To find a lactation consultant (home visits/fee) near you, click here.